Monday, March 1, 2010

The Soup Bowl Cafe

The Soup Bowl Cafe functions as an informal bus terminus for Bathsheba. After arriving from Speightstown and Bridgetown, buses sit across from the Soup Bowl Cafe for about ten minutes before beginning their inbound journeys.

The cafe is so named for its proximity to a famous surfing cove known as the Soup Bowl. I knew this--nevertheless we headed in here one afternoon in hopes of having a nice chunky fish stew or something like it for lunch. You can't say the phrase "soup bowl cafe" to a food-minded person like me and expect me to think of gnarly waves.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem that there was any food to be had in the cafe at all. It is, however, a nice enough place to sit and sip a cold beer or a can of pop. Not that we're surfing types at all, but I believe you can rent a surfboard from here (or the place next door).

According to The New York Times, the Soup Bowl is set to become one of the world's great surfing destinations. I hope not. I like Bathsheba as it is--sleepy and somewhat underpopulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment