Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Oistins Fish Fry

The Oistins Fish Fry takes place every Friday night and is well worth visiting if you are at all fond of fish! We are told that a quieter version of it occurs on Saturday nights too, but Friday night is the happening night.

Situated right next to the Oistins Fish Market, the Fish Fry is a collection of stalls and tables, rather like a Singaporean hawker centre but all--yay!--devoted to fish.

A plate of fish and side dishes (grilled vegetables, macaroni pie, rice and peas, mashed potatoes, etc.) costs about BBD 35.00. You can have your pick of grilled dolphin (mahi-mahi, not the mammal), marlin, swordfish, flying fish, and seafood kebabs. Some stalls are better than others, but we haven't yet figured out which one we like best.

I'm usually somewhat conscientious about eating seafood in an ethical way, but I figure by the time I've racked up the carbon emissions to fly to Barbados, I may as well indulge. (Plus, we get around ever so virtuously by bus!) I haven't looked into it, but my impression is that Bajan fishing practices are pretty low-impact. It's all local seafood, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment