Monday, February 1, 2010

Barbados Wildlife Reserve Part I

The Barbados Wildlife Reserve turned out to be smaller than I thought it would be, but as we have learned, size isn't everything.

I wasn't, for instance, prepared for the large number of tortoises clattering about underfoot. Each of them seems to have its own, somewhat opaque agenda, but at close to 2 pm they all head purposefully for the feeding area.

The green monkeys (who don't necessarily live in the reserve but are free to come and go as they please) also know that it is feeding time. Since the ground is thick with tortoises, many of the monkeys will just perch on the tortoises' shells and reach for fruit over their heads.

The reserve is also home to a strange animal whose existence I'd never suspected prior to my visit. But that is for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment