Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cave Bay II

I thought I had seen lovely beaches in Barbados already. But Cave Bay quite took my breath away. From where we stood at the top of the cliffs enclosing it, we could hear the waves booming like a cannon as they crashed up against deep overhangs that had been eroded into the headlands.

Less well known than its companion to the north, Bottom Bay, Cave Bay was completely deserted when we visited on a Friday afternoon. Of course, the currents all along these parts of the Southeast Coast make this a dangerous beach for swimming, but I wouldn't mind bringing a tall flask of iced lemonade with me next time and just sitting here for about three hours.

Perhaps another reason that Cave Bay is less well visited than Bottom Bay is that the way down to the beach from above is via a very steep stair that has been roughly cut into the coral cliffs. There is no handrail--not for the weak of knee, and I mean that both literally and figuratively.

No comments:

Post a Comment