Monday, April 5, 2010

Oistins Craft Market

There is a craft market at the Oistins Fish Fry, on the promenade at the waterfront. We always visit the stall where we bought these bowls. They are, incredibly, made out of fish scales. The artist who makes them (of whom, more below) once showed us a fish scale the size of a poker chip. I'm not sure what kind of fish it came from, but I bet it was big.

He also makes lovely turned wooden bowls that are so heavy and smooth they feel like they're made of soapstone.

When we visited last, I thought I'd take a photo of all the lovely bowls at his table to post on this blog. Unfortunately, he must have thought I was planning to steal his patterns, because he started yelling at me from where he was sitting nearby. I erased the photos I'd taken--it seemed like too much work to explain to him that I was going to try to promote his work online, and he didn't look like he was in the mood for conversation.

I hope that if he ever sees this post he will realize my intentions were all good!

No comments:

Post a Comment